Friday, October 19, 2012

AT TIMES I FEEL SORRY FOR MEN

That may sound strange as it seems so many women these days are against the male of our species and at times I can understand why and others not.

What I am talking about here is size....yes body size.  Now I am a quite tall, large lady and since using insulin my girth has increased by about 4kg and unknown cms which makes me rather statuesque especially side on.  I am fortunate in finding some loose fitting summer dresses that don't fit tightly and I also wear loose fitting tops during winter. We women don't need a fly in our trousers so mine all have elastic waists which fit nicely.   I am not any smaller wearing that style of clothing but I feel I don't look as grotesque as women who wear tight fitting clothing and look like advertisements for Michelin tyres.  That may sound rather bitchy but it is true.  I do try to see myself as others see me but I guess others "frankly don't give a damn" to quote Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind".  Maybe there are so many big women around these days many have given up caring what they look like which is rather sad.

My daughter is a little on the large side as well and she too has always dressed according to her size and to me always looks very elegant, much more so than I ever do.  She seems to have a flare for choosing the right clothes for her.

What is all this leading up to, you ask.  Let me explain. MOH who has been using insulin for longer than I have and who always had quite a good waistline has put on about 14cms around the middle and now has a paunch, something he never sported before.  He has gone up two trouser sizes and because he is not very tall needs a short or stout fitting which seem unavailable today.  This means if he can find trousers to fit around his waist they will be many cms too long.  I know for some reason men these days wear their trousers with wrinkles galore around their ankle but neither MOH or I think that looks terribly elegant.

Now with track pants and their elastic waists MOH is still wearing those he's had a while as they S.T.R.E.T.C.H but he now has about 3 pairs of good trousers in his wardrobe that just won't do up any more because they don't stretch.  If only men could buy good trousers with elastic waists as we ladies can all his problems would be solved but he can't so it looks as though the trusty sewing machine will have to come out and new trousers will have to be shortened to a comfortable length for him.

Men's casual shirts (polo shirts and the like) also tend to rather hug their bodies and unless they wear sports shirts hanging out they can't hide that bulge as we can with our flowing tops.  Casual shirts are fine in summer but usually you have to IRON them...shock horror.....we put the iron away several years ago as we both wear drip dry.  I offered to buy MOH a couple of nice Hawaiian shirts that he could wear hanging out and I can't explain the look that came on his face.  You had to be there.

All of this may sound a little nonsensical but I do feel for the poor man as he is now becoming conscious of this body problem he has whereas I've been conscious of mine for many years although now it is of course getting worse although I've not put on any weight now for about 2 months so perhaps it has really stopped going up.  One can always hope.


6 comments:

  1. I seriously laughed out loud at your Hawaiian shirt reference...my husband has one of these shirts and we always make fun of him...we are awful arn't we hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we shouldn't make fun of the poor dears but then isn't that part of their role in our lives. :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you. And am still smiling at the thought of my skinny portion in a Hawaiian shirt. Or at least not so much at the thought of him wearing one, but at the look on his face if I suggested it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the look on the face of your skinny person would be the same as the look on the face of my now plumper person!!! I still may buy one though....just for the sheer fun of it. I'm a bit like that sometimes. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on every point, especially women who should know better wearing tight clothing when they clearly need something 4 sizes larger. I buy my things to fit a little loosely, because a smoother look is more elegant.
    I'm sure men's trousers come in long, regular and short leg lengths just like women's ones do. I buy the short leg length and still have to take them up, because I'm only 5 feet tall, but quite chunky around the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOH went to Myer looking for new trousers last week and there were only regular lengths in all types so it seems men are not being catered for as they were before. I think this new modern look of men wearing their trousers wrinkled around their ankles is the reason. I checked on the internet and the only 'short' or 'stout' were men's bowling trousers. I have managed to buy him a new pair 102S on eBay and we are hoping they will fill the bill. If so, can soon order more and they are a very reasonable price.

      Delete