Saturday, November 8, 2014

MORE ABOUT PERCY ROCKLIFF (PR) (Mum's father)

I recently mentioned my English grandfather Percy Rockiff (PR), my mother's dad.  I found this on google recently.  I am unable to 'steal' the item from Pathe News but have been able to show the title and also a picture of PR as he heads out to distribute the annual shares.


The title reads:  "His Proud Record.  Mr Rockliff retiring after 40 years' service, presides for the last time, at New Tabernacle's Annual Share Out of £30,000 to 22,000 people - and he has never had to use that revolver once!"

These are still pictures showing Mr Rockliff coming our of Barclays Bank and this is one of them.

"He can be seen holding a small pistol.  With him are two men carrying sacks, presumably full of money.  Several policemen and others carry bags down the side of a building."


In the film itself you see my grandfather unloading the pistol for the last time and saying he has never had to fire it once.  Here you can clearly see PR with the pistol in his hand and one of the men carrying a sack of money."


If anyone should be interested in actually watching the film then check it you can check it out on www.britishpathe.com/video/his-proud-record.  As I watched it I couldn't believe I was actually seeing my grandfather and listening to his voice.  Incidentally this occurred in 1932, the year I was born.  Just how historic can you get?  I'd recommend by daughter watch the news item to see the man that was her Grandma Win's dad.  I am sure she would remember his being spoken about.

P.S.  I find it difficult that $30.000 would be divided between 22,000 people which would be less than £2.00 each but when you consider the average wage was about £3.00 a week then, it would be like receiving nearly a week's salary now.  If you check out the website I quoted above it definitely says, 22,000 people.



10 comments:

  1. I did watch it...he seems such a sweet old fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I found it and my mum would have loved to see her dad and hear his voice.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful to hear his voice. Hope you are well. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too and to think it happened in the year of my birth. Amazed me to find it. I am getting there, slowly but surely. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I was delighted to find it and this morning played it for Phil to see and listen to. To think that happened 12,000 miles from here and 82 years ago. One of my best finds ever.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh Mimsie that was wonderful!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. A man I never met and then to see him and actually hear his voice. I was truly gobsmacked!! xx

      Delete
  5. I haven't watched yet, but I will, as soon as I stop dreaming about sacks of money!
    I can remember when two pounds was a lot of money, although wages had risen quite a bit by the time I was born, people were still careful about purchasing things that cost more than a pound or two. Things were saved for very carefully back then. Those were the days before hire purchase and credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do watch it River. It's only very brief but worth watching as it just so old and a piece of history.
      No credit cards not hire purchase back then. At least they knew what they had was theirs and not owned by a finance company.

      Delete