Thursday, April 30, 2015

RETIRING FROM ONE POSITION WITH THE OFFER OF ANOTHER

Excerpt from 'THE CLOCK OF TIME" by Gertrude Ruston.  (pp 208-209)

"While we were trying to find my successor for the Perth Emergency Housekeeper Scheme I was asked by Mr George Smith, Director of the Christian Welfare Centre, Churches of Christ in Beaufort Street, Perth, if I would take over the running of the Centre from him whilst he completed his Master's degree at the University of Western Australia.

At the time I was over seventy and rather overwhelmed at the request as I thought there were others already connected with the Centre who were more qualified to take the position.  When I went for an interview I was very impressed with the work undertaken by the Churches of Christ at their Welfare Centre and would have enjoyed becoming part of it.  However, as I explained to Mr Smith, I could not leave the Housekeeper Service until a new Director was appointed and, at that time, we had nobody in view.  I therefore declined the offer, feeling sure that Mrs Peg Eaton and others at the Centre would be able to carry on until Mr Smith returned.

At last I approached Mrs W.W.Mitchell, one of our Board members, and asked if she would consider becoming the Director of PEHS.  After some deliberation she agreed provided that if I remained with her for three months, and I gradually relinquished direction and retired on 6th October, 1972.  (My mother at the time of this retirement was 75 years of age).

Mrs Mitchell arranged a special farewell function in my honour at the Gateway Inn at which Professor Saint was as unexpected and most welcome guest.  Both he and Dr Colin Anderson were kind enough to pay tributes to my services, and I received an Honorary Life Membership Certificate similar to that presented to Professor Saint when he left the Council of Social Service.

Mrs Mitchell carried on most successfully for some time ably assisted by Mrs Dorothy Walters as Chief Supervisor, while the service progressed and expanded. However, in due course Mrs Mitchell also found it necessary to resign for pressing family reasons, and incoming officers proved to be unsuitable and quite unsatisfactory.

Much water has gone under the bridge and, after some tribulation, Mrs Mary Scolly, a trained nurse with considerable experience as one of our Home Visitors, has become Director, and all is well again with PEHS.  Once again they have changed their address and now have excellent quarters on the ground floor in Hay Street.

I was present at the 1980 annual general meeting, at which Professor Eric Saint was guest speaker, and was very impressed to hear that the government grant for 1979/80 amounted to $75,000 and they had been able to assist 2,000 cases.

I feel very happy and satisfied to know that the PEHS is in such excellent hands.  As was commented in "Reflections" - it is "A BLESSING OF A SERVICE".

I know how proud mum was that the PEHS had prospered the way it did.  After her accident she fought tooth and nail to get it back on its feet, another battle she won outright.

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    It was clearly 'her life' in totality and it surely would have been concerning when things were not going too well. It is very often difficult to find folk who can 'till the shoes' and there can be now doubt that your mother had 'large ones'!!! Wonderful that she was able to see it flourish though. A reward in itself. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was very proud of all her achievements right through to the PEHS.
      Hers were large shoes but there were many competent women available. It was just a matter of finding one who was able to take on the task. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm sure if it wasn't for that accident she would have continued on indefinitely. You have every reason to be proud of that feisty lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the stairs definitely forced her into retirement from the PEHS position
      All our family are indeed proud of mum and grandma for all she achieved.
      You will find she finds a new venture before too long.

      Delete
  3. I agree, she is a mum to be very proud of. I have so enjoyed reading these posts about her. Thank you Mimsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not finished yet Denise; there is more to come in this story. I hope you will continue to follow it to the end.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, what a woman! I'm just about to hit the big seven o (70) and couldn't do half of what your mum did. I 'tips me lid' in her direction.
    Have you written your life story, Mimsie? I would love to read it if you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel amazed when I look back on mum's life. She took so much after her father and I feel always tried to fill the shoes of the son he wished she had been,
      I did actually do several posts on here a year or so back with the story of my own life but compared to that of my mother it is a very tame story. Hardly worth the effort of reading it. : )

      Delete
    2. Oh, how wonderful to know you have written about your life too. I must go back and read from the beginning. I should think all our lives would look pretty tame next to your mum's extraordinary memoir. Still, we mustn't hide our light under bushels - we all have a story to tell and all are equally fascinating. (Note to self: get on with writing my own story!)

      Delete