Thursday, December 10, 2015

MY FAVOURITE GARDEN FLOWERS

When I came to "O" I immediately thought 'orchids' but then not everyone grows orchids and my tender ministrations did nothing for those I had and they all eventually went to orchid heaven.  My son-on-law, on the other hand, has a couple of dozen cymbidium orchids in pots and they flower prolifically every year.  I am always rather envious when I visit them and see the beautiful display.


The only other "O" that comes to mind is more a shrub than a bedding plant and yet I think they are very beautiful:

OLEANDER is an evergreen shrub in the dogbane family Apocynaceae, toxic in all its parts.  It is the only species currently classified in the genus Nerium.  It is most commonly known as oleander, from its superficial resemblance to the unrelated olive Olea.  It is so widely cultivated that no precise region of origin has been identified, though southwest Asia has been suggested.  The ancient city of Volubilis in Morocco may have taken its name from the Berber name oualilt for the flower.  Oleander is one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants.


Our neighbour has a very large shrub that protrudes into our back garden over the adjoining fence but it is high enough not to cause a problem to anyone.   You often see them planted on road verges and in parks as well and I am always a little fearful that young children may want to pick the pretty flowers.   Our two little great-grandies love to pluck a daisy or similar from our garden then they visit and lots of small children do love flowers and you do have to admit the flowers are glorious.



8 comments:

  1. A beautiful display of pretty blooms Mimsie, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise and wish I could take credit for the photos. They were on free pics on Google without whom I would be lost.

      Delete
  2. The flowers are very pretty, but I wonder how many people know that even burning the wood of an oleander is toxic?
    I carried orchids as my wedding bouquet, my mother insisted. I didn't even get a chance to think what other flowers I might have wanted. White orchids for me, pale green for my bridesmaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the oleander are very toxic. I heard years ago about boy scouts using oleander for either burning in their fire when cooking or using sticks to stir tea but I do remember many of them were taken ill quite badly.
      I can't remember what I had in my first bouquet but when Phil and I married a workmate brought in beautiful orchids for me, my matron of honour to pin on our costume jackets and Karen carried a spray of orchids. Bruce had a greenhouse in North Beach where he grew all types of orchids. I thought it really lovely of him.

      Delete
  3. I grow cymbidiums and have finally got them to bloom reliably. Luck more than skill.
    A few years back there was a sensational court case here. The police arrived at one of my brothers co-workers door and told him to leave the house. Then they arrested his wife for attempted murder. He had been having recurrent stomach upsets. His doctor was suspicious and set samples away. Oleander tea...
    She was convicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with those cymbidiums I had to give up as it didn't seem fair to keep killing them.
      That story of the oleander tea is amazing and how fortunate that doctor was suspicious enough to have samples tested.

      Delete